Musee de L'Orangerie


Brian here. Today after church in Paris we decided to take advantage of my day off by going to the Orangerie, a small museum across the Tuileries Garden from the Louvre. This one was on the top of my list because it was closed for renovation the first time I visited Paris. The main draw is two large oval galleries that are covered on all four sides by huge Monet waterlily canvases. It is really stunning.



Two beautiful works of art.



This one was my favorite of the 8 huge canvases.


This was Colin's response to the artwork. He found it very soothing. It was a very chilly day today, so we went all out with the stroller bubble.

This gives you a little perspective on the scale of the paintings.

This one had the boldest colors. Very sassy.

I need a shave.


The Orangerie also houses a very lovely collection of work by other impressionist/post-impressionist artists. It is a wonderful museum because it's not crowded, it's not 75 miles long like the Louvre, you can see the whole collection in one visit, and the whole collection is worth seeing- and Peaches never looked so good (courtesy of Renoir).

Also I wanted to note a correction in the Ste. Chappelle post. I was really tired when I typed part of it and I credited Louis the 14th with its construction. It being a gothic structure, it predates Louis 14 by quite a few centuries. It was actually just plain old Louis (the 1st?), who later became St. Louis who built it.

Posted by Picasa

7 Comments:

  1. Mrs. Hass-Bark said...
    What amazing paintings! I'm so jealous.
    Unknown said...
    Rob wants to know what you are doing in Paris.

    Kara
    Unknown said...
    Also,
    Adam enjoyed this post quite a bit because he's sort of "studying" Monet and impressionism right now.
    Julie said...
    This has got to be one of my favorite posts of yours. I love being able to travel the world through your blog! You should frame the photo of you infront of the painting, truly beautiful...
    Ann said...
    Hi there, thanks for all the comments. Brian will be happy to get some comments because he really liked this post and museum. It really was amazing and we love to take advantage of things like museums when the toddler is asleep!

    And Rob and Kara, Brian is doing a concert version of Don Giovanni with Opera Fuoco on period instruments. Brian will have to tell you more. We only found out about this gig just over a week before Christmas, but it is great to be here and hopefully will open some more doors. Crazy thing this opera world.
    singin'mama said...
    I just got a good laugh when I realized I commented with my google exercise group nickname. How embarrassing! Oh well. Anyway, I know doors will open for Brian. He's got more talent in his big toe than I've got in my whole body. Paris is sure beautiful! And I certainly admire your creative parenting on the road! And Ann you are looking quite ravishing these days I must say. I'm sure Brian agrees.
    Anonymous said...
    (Sorry for the delay in this comment.) Regarding the two beautiful works of art, which one is more sassy?

Post a Comment