We arrived to Districto Federal on Sunday night after a nice plane ride where not only did we get bumped up to Business Class, but Colin slept for about 80% of the trip. It was some kind of special miracle (and we needed it because I am getting very sick of travelling). On Monday, we were greeted by many Mexicans parading in the street to welcome us. We hear there are big demonstrations every week where we are (right up the street from many government buildings). This is the view of the protest from our 20th floor hotel room. Colin and I had to walk back to the hotel in the middle of this. As you can see, it went on and on. But everyone had their clothes on. On the other side of the Opera house, Brian was privileged to see some angry sugar factory workers, most of whom were completely naked, some with underwear. I'm not sure what nudity has to do with their corrupt union boss, but it was getting some attention. I saw a sole naked artist protesting on the Zocalo today. Too bad I didn't have a camera.


View of the Palacio de Bellas Artes (where Brian will be performing) from our hotel window. This is actually a time of the year when the air is cleanest, because it rains virtually every evening (6pm sharp).


Another view from the hotel. This church makes me a little sad. Mexico City is a very different beast than we are used to. It really makes me miss Tel Aviv because it was such an easy city to be in with a baby. It is nice to speak Spanish and all, but Tel Aviv was great, and strangely felt exponentially safer than DF. We have seen maybe three mothers with strollers in Mexico City since we arrived, and Colin's blondeness gets a lot of gawking. Strollers were everywhere in Israel. I do not miss being close to Gaza however.
Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

  1. rusted sun said...
    Annie,
    It has been several years since I have been in DF but when I was there we sued the subway, it was an easy way to get around. The Zona Rosa is a nice area to walk around.

    I hope you have a good time.

    Vic called me yesterday asking me how to get a hold of you guys. I sent her to you blog.

    Alisa
    rusted sun said...
    Annie,
    It has been several years since I have been in DF but when I was there we sued the subway, it was an easy way to get around. The Zona Rosa is a nice area to walk around.

    I hope you have a good time.

    Vic called me yesterday asking me how to get a hold of you guys. I sent her to you blog.

    Alisa
    Anonymous said...
    Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Até mais.
    DanaLee said...
    This how self obsessed I am. When I saw the Welcome to DF, I totally thought you were about to blog something for me. Man, sad eh? Looking forward to getting back in touch. Be safe!

Post a Comment