In Memoriam


We are sad at the loss of my father this week, but we are relieved he does not need to suffer anymore. He battled cancer for more than five years, but we are grateful for his fight and the extra time we all enjoyed with him. Here is his obituary:
Michael Richards Hinckley, age 72, passed away on Monday, July 7, 2008 at his home in Holladay after a long battle with cancer. He was born December 21, 1935, in Salt Lake City to Frederick R. Hinckley and Lois Richards Hinckley. He attended Granite High School and was in the first graduating class of Olympus High School. He went to BYU, graduated from the U of U and received his MBA from Harvard Business School in 1962. He married Jean Folsom March 20, 1958, in the Salt Lake Temple. He was a missionary in England from 1956-1958. He returned to England as Mission President of the England Birmingham Mission from 1999-2002. He served as Bishop in Rochester, MN. He loved the outdoors, hunting, and guns and had special friends who shared this love. He loved sports, especially football. He was High School All-American at Olympus, played for BYU and was forever a fan. After his MBA, he joined his father’s business at American Paper and Supply in Salt Lake. He became the Head of Strategic Planning for Saxon Industries. He moved to Chicago to become Treasurer of Americana Hotels and worked for Kahler Hotels as Head of Marketing in Rochester, MN. Mike and wife Jean celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary this year. Mike is survived by his wife Jean and their children: M. Russell (Susan), Apple Valley, MN, Mary Thatcher (Blake), Lake Forest, IL, Stephen, Sandy, UT, Ted (Libbie), South Jordan, UT, Jeanie Rennie (Paul), Issaquah, WA, Patrick (April), Manchester, CT, Ann Stucki (Brian), Holladay, UT, brother Frederick R. Hinckley, Kaysville, UT and 24 grandchildren. He is preceded in death by his parents and two grandchildren. Services will be Saturday July 12 at 1pm at the Holladay 18th and 28th Wards, 2625 E Milo Way in Holladay, UT. The family will receive friends Friday, July 11 at Wasatch Lawn, 3401 S Highland Drive from 6pm-8pm and beginning at 11:30 on Saturday at the Ward. Internment will be at Wasatch Lawn. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the Bennion Center at the U of U or the Edwin Smith Hinckley Scholarship at BYU. Many thanks for the services of the wonderful doctors and staff at Huntsman Cancer Institute and the Millcreek Home Health Care and Hospice.


When Dad was 3, his tricycle had been stolen, not once but twice and his parents were not able to replace it again. This photo appeared in the paper with the caption "Michael Hinckley contemplates his sorrow".

Posted by Picasa

10 Comments:

  1. Mrs. Hass-Bark said...
    My prayers are with you and your family.
    sorichfamily said...
    i was so sad to hear of your father's passing. he was an amazing man, with an amazing legacy! our thoughts and prayers are with all of you.
    Erin said...
    Ann, I'm sorry for your loss. Thank you so much for this post.
    Anne said...
    Ann and Brian and all your family - I am so sorry to hear about your dad. I am so glad that I got to meet him briefly when we came to visit you in April. Even though we didn't speak directly, I really was touched by his Spirit, and what a noble man he is. We will be praying for you and your family.

    Love Anne.
    singin'mama said...
    Ann,
    We are so sorry to hear about the loss of your father. I didn't know he was suffering from cancer. Our condolences to you. I really enjoyed the great pictures of when he was young. Reading his obituary shows what an amazing life he led. I'm sure he's happy to be free from pain now. We send our love!
    andi said...
    So sorry for your whole family. Thank you for sharing the great childhood picture with the classic caption.
    Julie said...
    Oh, Ann, I am so sorry for your loss. I hope your family is doing alright. It is wonderful that you were all able to get together for a while before his passing. That must have meant a lot to him. If you need any help with the kids or a play date to take your mind off things give me a ring and know you are in our prayers. Love ya, Julie
    Unknown said...
    I was lucky enough to have served as a missionary during Pres. Hinckleys time in England and the man changed my life. My condolences go to the family. He will be greatly missed.
    malia said...
    Ann! I am so very sorry to hear about your father. Please know that I am thinking about you and your family and that you are in my prayers. I love this post. It was lovely. I hope you are ok. Love you.
    Mark said...
    Wow that bottom photo looks sooo much like Christian. I'll share a story with you about Mike Rennie. This past Sunday he got up in Church and he said :

    "I've been going through a tough time lately. My grandfather passed away. He was my hero and now that he is gone I need a new hero. I am choosing Christian as my hero and I think he'll be around for a while."

    mbg

Post a Comment